Monday, May 10, 2010

There is an Alligator in my living room!

I have recently noticed, as in noticed this morning, that there is a phenomenon occurring once a year that has nothing to do with our Lord and Savior. I will, hence forth, call it the Mother's Day Worm Hole. The day was wonderful. Keegan, at school, planted a purple pansy and put his hand prints on a sweet poem for me. I also received beautiful pink roses, a Sugarland CD, my favorite German Chocolate and multi-colored Swedish Fish (do you know how hard it is find multi-colored fish, not just the red ones but all the colors, I LOVE THEM). Joey made me French toast and granola with yogurt. He got the kids up (we had been out late the night before so they were sleeping in) and got them dressed for church. Keegan even signed his own name to my card. After Mass, we watched my nephews get Baptized which is such a beautiful reminder of God's gift to mothers. We then had a big 'ol shindig to celebrate. After the festivities, we all took a nap (I wish this was an every Sunday tradition). I actually slept so hard that, when I woke up, I looked at the clock and was beyond confused as to why it was light outside at 3:30 am; it was 3:30 pm. We played outside, got Market Place's spinach queso to add to our super, went for a walk and, after the kids went to bed, Joey and I had a "chocolate mess" from Market Place, played Wii, drank wine and listened to classic songs from our high school and college days courtesy of the Bing Top 100 app. My children were amazing all day. I only remember utilizing "time out" once, they played well together, they ate supper without complaint, they had obviously been abducted and replaced by aliens.

I tell you all of this so that you can truly appreciate the worm hole...

At 12:15 am, Murphy woke up. I thought that I had settled him back into a peaceful snooze only to have him begin to scream again the very second my head hit the pillow. I returned, changed his diaper and fed him thinking "surely he will sleep now" and he did... for an hour. We continued our game of cat and mouse for several hours, finally resorting to bringing him to the bed with me. Peace began to resume its sleep inducing comfort only to be rudely interrupted by Kendall's blood curdling night terror screams. That was at 5:45 and she has yet to fall back to sleep causing her to be an exaggerated form of her usually loud and demanding self. Keegan and Kendall have yet to be within 3 feet of each other without screaming, hitting, crying or tattling and even my silent sufferer, Murphy, has not been enjoying his play time so that mommy can type. Maybe Mother's Day allows us to view the world through rose colored glasses but I attribute it all to the "Mother's Day Worm Hole".


No comments:

Post a Comment