Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What had happened was...

I know that several of you had heard that the baby and I were recently in the hospital for an extended stay. The good news is that she is still baking away and we are now home but let me catch you up on the details.

Wednesday started as a rather typical day. She felt a little low and was SUPER heavy but not much of note. As the day went on, she got heavier and started getting rather achy. By 4:30ish, I was having serious contractions. I still wasn't too concerned. After all, I have been on bed rest for 3 weeks because of contractions but had yet to have anything happen "down below". I chugged my water and started a second glass, laid over on my side, the usual. Things didn't change. Joey gave me my "little blue pill" (the Tylenol PM that had, thus far, been relaxing me enough to slow contractions) but rather than slowing, contractions were getting stronger, lower, and closer together. By 8, they were on top of each other; every 2 minutes. They were also VERY strong and low. We went to the hospital.

At the hospital, they got me all hooked up and checked me out. I was at 1 1/2 cm and 50% so they checked me in for 23 hour observation. After 3 doses of terbutaline (breathean) and dimerall (sp?) the contractions finally slowed. On an up note, an ultrasound showed that the baby was indeed measuring 32 weeks and was a whooping 4 lbs!! Man, those steroids and all the calories Joey has been feeding me worked!

I slept through most of Wednesday night but by around 5 Thursday morning, Bridgette (one of my wonderful nurses) and I were fighting contractions AGAIN! Dr. Hinton checked me and I was 4cm and 70%. By the look of it, the baby was coming whether we wanted her too or not.

We were finally able to slow contractions and progression stopped. WHEW!

Contractions have yet to stop completely for more than several hours at time but overall, they have remained sporadic and I have not progressed past 4cm. SO, on Monday morning, I got to come home. THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER! I'm still extremely restricted; I can only get up to go the bathroom and come back  to bed. However, I am using my own bathroom and coming back to my own bed. I was able to watch our backyard squirrels through the window, read the kids their night books and sleep in the same bed as Joey. Life is good! I will be 33 weeks tomorrow and pending nothing major happens, we'll go in the be checked out again Thursday.  We need her to get to 36 weeks. Come on sweet baby, hang in there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment