Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Don't buy ugly clothes!

"You always look so cute! How do you do it?" "You know, I would never know you were a mother of 4." "You look awfully cute for a woman on bed rest."

I've heard it all. I promise:
  • I don't spend hours getting dressed
  • I don't spend hundreds on clothes (unless it is for the kids)
  • I don't memorize the fashion mags and copy what I see.
  • If I can do it, YOU CAN TOO!

Here is my secret....
Find an amazing hair stylist, buy a cute hat and DON'T BUY UGLY CLOTHES!

1. The hair!
     Your hair stylist is one of the most important tools you can have. She (or he) is worth her weight in gold, people. It may take a while to find the right fit but a good stylist will take your wants, your style, your hair, and what's current then marry the four into the perfect quaff. Do not be afraid to break up with your stylist if things aren't working out. Don't be afraid to pay good money for good hair. And, when you don't have time or energy to fix it, then you have a....

2. Good Hat!
    A cute hat that fits you well can take a bad hair day to a super cute day in split second. Mine has sparkles (because I love all things sparkly) but yours doesn't have to shoot rainbows in the sun. Find one that you are comfortable with but stick with the mantra "simple is better". Remember that your hat is neutral in your wardrobe and want to be able to wear with as much as possible.

3. DON'T BUY UGLY CLOTHES!!
    Ok, I've said it enough, hopefully it has sunk in. If your drawer if full of old t-shirts and paint splattered jeans that really don't fit all that well (or yoga pants even though you are not an instructor or spend hours in the gym) guess what you will put on. Yep, t-shirts and yoga pants. Don't get me wrong, I own all sorts of work out gear. I own old t-shirts. These things hold a place in our lives and our wardrobes. However, if you open my closet or my drawer (unless it is my work drawer) these will not be the first items you see. In fact, you will have to look for them. That way, when I reach in and pull something out, it is more likely to be a Piko top than something I would wear on a hike. I could right a whole post on the versatility of a Piko top but I mention them here simply to say that if you put cute into your closet, cute comes back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment